Digital Book :
Essay on the Architecture of the Hindús
By Ram Raz
Native Judge and Magistrate at Bangalore; Corresponding Member of The Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland
Published for The Royal Asiatic Society by John William Parker, London - 1834
Krishá¹‡a lifting up Mount Govardhan.
The cowherd god is depicted effortlessly lifting up the mountain to shelter his followers from the storm of the god Indra, seen in the upper right of the painting on his elephant mount, Airavata.
Gouache painting on paper.
Painted by Ustad Sahibdin
Narasimha stands astride a broad lotus base, supporting and disemboweling the demon Hiranyakashipu, he wears jewelry and garments of classic form, his wrathful leonine face framed by a broad mane and surmounted by a tall crow...
Hiranyakashipu brandishes his sword at a burning pillar concealing Narasimha
With a pile of hot coals set around the base of the column, two demons work bellows to intensify the heat and flames. On the left another demon escorts Prahlada, carrying a writing slate under his arm...
A red sandstone relief depicting Narasimha killing Hiranyakashipu
The lion-headed avatar of Vishnu standing in a menacing pose with his left foot on a pedestal, his hands tearing open the abdomen of the evil king Hiranyakashipu; adorned with ornaments and wearing a h...
Opaque watercolour painting of the shrine of Shri Ranganathasvami at the core of the Srirangam complex. The image, on the golden roof of the main shrine, is of Viṣṇu Paravasudeva. At the gate of the inner sanctuary are two Dvarapalas (door guardians), Bhadra and Subhadra; near them are two empty ...
Fort and bridge between Trichinopoly and Srirangam -1850
Painting in gouache on mica of the rock, fort and bridge between Trichinopoly (Tiruchchirappalli) and Srirangam, by an anonymous artist working in the Trichinopoly style, c. 1850. Inscribed: 'A Temple on a Hill and a Bridge near to Trichin...
Four-columned mandapa, with the gopura of the Ranganatha Temple, Srirangam - 1858
Photograph of the street towards the open-sided, four-columned mandapa, with the gopura of the Ranganatha Temple beyond, taken by Linnaeus Tripe (1822-1902) in 1858. This is a sacred Vaishnava complex situated on t...
Temple jewellery from the Ranganatha Temple at Srirangam - 1895
Photograph of an arrangement of temple jewellery from the Ranganatha Temple at Srirangam, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Madras, 1896-98. The Ranganatha Temple is one of the largest and most sacred complexes in...
Jambukeshvara temple on the island of Srirangam - 1858
Photograph of a a palm-shaded street towards the distant west gopura of the Jambukeshvara temple on the island of Srirangam, taken by Linnaeus Tripe (1822-1902) in 1858. This sacred complex dates mostly from the 17th century Nayaka period an...