Jhansi Fort - 1882.
Photograph of the Fort of Jhansi in Uttar Pradesh, from the Lee-Warner Collection: 'Scenes and Sculptures of Central India, Photographed by Lala Deen Diyal, Indore.', taken by Deen Dayal in 1882. The fort of Jhansi was built under the rule of Raja Bir Singh Deo (1605-27) of Orchha in the turbulent area of Bundelkhand. It is situated on a rocky hill in a strategic position. Jhansi remained a small village until 1742 when it was taken by the Maratha general, Naru Shankar who strengthened and enlarged the fort. The territory was later under the control of Peshwas until it passed to the hands of the British East India Company after the death of Raja Gangadhar Rao in 1853. In 1857 a few men of the 12th Bengal Infantry mutinied, shot their European officers and seized the fort. The Rani of Jhansi, Lakshmi Bhai, who had been disposed, tried to take control with no success. In 1858 the British recaptured the town after a very hard fight in which the Rani took part. She finally fell after a heroic fight on 18 June 1858 outside Gwalior and is now considered a heroine of Indian independence.