Posted on: 2 February 2016

In 1880s, people were coaxed to move out of city to Malleswaram, Bangalore

MALLESWARAM: Did you know that Malleswaram got its pin code 560003 because it was the third `extension' created out of the old city? Or that the temple after which it was named contains an outcrop indicating it was built with a grant given by Maratha Sardar Venkoji (alias Ekoji), halfbrother of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj? Or that the St Peter's Seminary on 18th Cross was a hospital for wounded soldiers of World War II?

Many stories, oral and documented, lie hidden in this northwest locality , originally a 291-acre area allocated as an extension to the Old City expressly to accommodate ris ing population and contain disease. Created in the late 1880s, it joined the municipality 1895.

"It is named after the Kaadu Malleswara Temple that existed amidst the jungle that Malleswaram was. Kaadu in Kannada means forest. The temple is an Archaeological Survey of India monument," said Archana Prasad, founder, Jaaga. Her greatgrandfather Setlur Venkataranga Iyengar was the assistant commissioner of the then municipal corporation and was instrumental in the area's formation. Her project 'Malleswaram Calling' had an interactive art installation connecting the area's illustrious past to its present.

Also called Kaadu Mallikarjunaswamy temple, the 17th Century Shiva temple is one of the oldest in the city. It is located alongside the Lakshminaraswamy and Nandeeshwara temples on 15th cross road.

An 1878 Survey of India map indi cates that Malleswaram originally came under a village called Ranganatha Palya. Old-time residents say that before the outbreak of the bubonic plague of 1898, which brought hordes of people to the locality, the corporation had to coax people to move there. Sites were made available for '40, payable in instalments of' 1 per year.

Read more:

 View Post on Facebook

Comments from Facebook

Made for all communities S. K. Aruni The Hindu, March 6, 2013 From rehabilitation area to posh neighbourhood, Malleswaram’s come a long way One of Bangalore’s oldest layouts, Malleswaram celebrates the 125th year of its founding next year. Founded in 1889, Malleswaram was created by the Wadiyars of the Mysore kingdom to provide a modern lifestyle to all communities, in which they could live in hygienic conditions. Most of the city was under the authorities of the British Cantonment in the 19th century, and had various well-planned layouts such as Richmond Town, Cox Town and Benson Town. The Wadiyar government planned and executed similar planned layouts in 1880s, leading to the formation of Basavanagudi and Malleswaram. Interestingly, both these new layouts were created on foothills: Basavanagudi lies on the foothills of the Bull Temple, Bugle Rock and Lal Bagh, while Malleswaram is on the foothills of the Kempegowda watchtower and Palace Guttahalli. Malleswaram’s advantage lay in its access to a water source — a big stream (now the Rajakaluve) ran through it — and along with Basavanagudi, it was meant to provide temporary shelter during large epidemics (such as the plague) and during famine. Read more: Image: Modern aspirations: An 1889 map of the layout of Malleswaram. / Photo: Bangalore Plague Report of 1895 / The Hindu

So much to know about!