The tank, palace and general view of Panna - May 1814
Water-colour painting of Panna by Colin MacKenzie (1754-1821) in May 1814. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'Sketch of the Table Land & the Tank, Palace etc at Penna in Bundelkand from the Table land above the same - by C. McK. May 1814.'
Panna is situated in Bundelkhand, a wild and hilly area of eastern Madhya Pradesh. The town is renowned for its temples, particularly the large Krishna Temple. Diamonds were discovered nearby in the late 18th century and brought prosperity to the ruling dynasty of Panna. The city grew in importance when Raja Chhatrasal, ruler of Bundelkhand, made it his capital in 1675.
Text and image credit:
Copyright © The British Library Board