Hill Fort of Gulab Singh - 1847
Plate 6 from "Recollections of India. Part 2. Kashmir and the Alpine Punjab" by James Duffield Harding (1797-1863) after Charles Stewart Hardinge (1822-1894), the eldest son of the first Viscount Hardinge, the Governor General. This depicts the hill fort of Gulab Singh. Hardinge wrote in 1846, "This fort was rebuilt twenty five years ago by the Maharajah, in consequence of its having been destroyed by lightning. It is one of the numerous small forts which are scattered about through his territory, and is capable of holding 100 men. It lies on the left bank of the Chunab, on the road to Jammu."
Copyright © The British Library Board