Temple of Mahadeo at Pasupati in Nepal -1856
Watercolour of the temple of Mahadeo at Pasupati in Nepal, by Henry Ambrose Oldfield (1822-1871), c. 1850-1863. The image is inscribed on the reverse: 'Temple of Maha Deo, Pushputtinath'.
The artist, Dr Oldfield, was Residency Surgeon at Khatmandu from 1850-1863. After his death his family published his two volume 'Sketches from Nipal, Historical and Descriptive...' (1880), which described life at the court of the Maharajah Jung Bahadur and also contained descriptions of religious monuments and architecture with illustrations from Oldfield's own drawings. The Pashupatinath temple, seen in this view, is dedicated to Shiva and is situated beside the Bagmati river. There has been a Shiva temple on this spot since before the 9th century and the present temple was built by King Bhupalendra Malla in 1653. The square two-tiered building stands on a single-tiered plinth in an open courtyard. The temple has silver-plated and gilt doors with niches on both sides containing images of gold painted guardian deities.
Copyright © The British Library Board