South view of Shahabad, Jhalawar - 1818
Water-colour drawing of Shahabad in Jalawar by an anonymous artist in 1818.
Inscribed on the front in ink is: b. 'Shahabad Town from the Ghaut to the Southward.' A gazetteer of 1857 describes the town as follows: 'Shahabad, in the Rajpoot territory of Jhallowa, a town on the route from Calpea to the town of Kotah, 225 miles S.W. of the former, 96 E of the latter. It has a good bazaar and water supplies are abundant.'
Edward Thornton, ‘A gazetteer of the territories under the government of the East India Company and of the Native States of the Continent of India’ London, 1857
Copyright © The British Library Board