Ellora: Pillar of the Nave Vishvakarma (left), Pillar under the gallery in Vishvakarma Cave (right) - 1877
By Draughtsman: Dinkar Moreshwar (fl. 1875)
Illustrations of pillars from the Vishvakarma Cave from James Burgess' 'Original Drawings [from the] Report on the Elura Caves.' The spectacular site of Ellora is famous for its series of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain cave temples excavated into the rocky façade of a basalt cliff. The works were done under the patronage of the Kalachuri, the Chalukya and the Rashtrakuta dynasties between the 6th and 9th centuries. Vishvakarma or Cave X (named after the architect to the gods) is a 7th century cave and one of the latest rock-cut Buddhist chaityas in Western India. Inscribed: 'Pillar of the Nave Visvakarma Elura' (left) 'Square Pillar under the gallery Visvakarma cave Elura' (right).
Copyright © The British Library Board