Ghiretta House, Chandernagore - 1800
Aquatint with etching of 'Ghiretta House' at Chandannagar in West Bengal by James Moffat from his original drawing published in Calcutta in 1800. The former French colony of Chandernagore is situated on the bank of the Hoogly river near Calcutta in north-eastern India. It was founded in 1673 and gradually expanded to become a great commercial centre maintaining trading relations with Basora, China, Pegu, Jedda, Surat, Mocha, Tibet and Persia. Ghireti House was the country mansion of the French Governors of Chandernagore. During the Governorship of M. Chevalier (1769-87) the house was known to have had a splendid appearance with rich furniture and painted ceilings. Nothing now remains but a few traces of its foundations. Chandernagore was handed to India after a referendum in 1950.
Copyright © The British Library Board