Head of East Nalla Canal, Rohree [Rohri], Sindh - 1860
Photograph of Rohree (Rohri), Sind, part of the ' Crofton Collection: Topographical and architectural views mostly in India', taken by an unknown photographer in the 1860s. Rohri is on the east bank of the Indus River and it is believed that the site was originally founded in the neolithic period. It is a sacred site to Muslims and in 1545 Mir Mohammad Kalhora built a shrine to receive a hair of the beard of the Prophet; the relic is still on public display one day a year. This photograph shows the East Nalla Canal in Rohri with the Indus River in the foreground. The Indus is the principal river of Pakistan and it flows southwest from the Himalayas to the Arabian Sea. Besides serving as waterways for travel and the transportation of merchandise, the canals were also used to irrigate the land.
Copyright © The British Library Board