Mahratta Light Infantry, 1908 (c).
Watercolour by Major Alfred Crowdy Lovett (1862-1919), 1908 (c).
Four figures representing the 103rd Mahratta Light Infantry, 110th Mahratta Light Infantry, 114th Mahrattas and 116th Mahrattas. In 1922 the Mahratta regiments were merged to form a single unit and designated as the 5th Mahratta Light Infantry. The redesignation also saw 114th Mahratta become the training battalion for the regiment.
This is the original artwork for an illustration in Major G F MacMunn's 'Armies of India', published in 1911.
Text and Image credit:
National Army Museum Copyright